Saturday, September 19, 2009

I'd Like To Make A Toast: To Dreamy Ingredients!

Our dear friend, Chef Dino Castri, makes our epicurean world 1 million times more incredible. He is from Salento, on the heel of Italy. He has worked in some of the finest kitchens in New York City restaurants, and has owned his own in East Village, which was lauded for both his food and the wine selection. He brings such quality of living to our lives, beautiful conversation, and endless flavors of the freshest, most incredible foods I've ever had. I long for the day that my mother, whom is a remarkable cook herself, can sit down at a meal with and made by Dino. My dream dining room is one that has elements in these environments below, but most of all, meals like those made by Dino Castri, though none shall ever compare.

This is as elegant as I would ever get. I'm not big on the "grand, epic" look in a dining room, as I want the food experience to have a loose, conversational flow to it, not stilted and overly strict. This has soft colors and elements in it's opulence. The windowed walls and french doors are everything, opening nature up to a lavish room will always bring things back to earth.



I like this for a nook. This is happy.


I think the open lighting is important for a formal dining area. This is one of the most important rooms to me, because it begins conversation, and must create flow throughout the evening.... flows and transitions should always be seamless, or the seams must be perfectly defined- in life as much as in art, fashion and entertaining.


Oh, Jane Coslick. Your a Goddess.


Dining OUTDOORS. This is absolute heaven, even if on the small side for tables... tables for me need to be big!!



This is more like it...



And this.... Timothy Corrigan is very opulent. This is a treasure of a space.


Love the dark wood against the clay colored walls and fuchshia hued flowers. It's all about the light.



From VT Interiors. Wonderful big print and spacing simplicity.



Two things: light, and a daughter.


Very sweet, very informal and playful. And of course, lots of light!


In opposition to the informal above, this is every bit formal, "old money" tradition as it comes. I love the chairs, and I love the singular quality. I would love to know what is under that glass on the table!




This is Seleta Hayes Howard's (of Simply Seleta) dining room. She has several pictures of this space on her blog post, but I chose this because it is an intimate shot. And if you enlarge, you can see the perfect shell chandelier she chose. I adore the floppy tulip bouquet in the white urn, with hurricanes in beach rocks on either side. She said on her post that she wasn't super happy with her "railroad style" green chair covers, and had a terrific idea that followed, which I'm curious to know how it will turn out. Although I do think this is just lovely, I also think there is nothing better than linen the color of burlap with a medley of mismatched buttons. I see it, Seleta, I see it!



Mmmmm, simple. Perfect.



This is here if only for the blue dot depression glasses and dried, hanging hydrangea, but the wood finish is gorge.



Quite possibly the best of all worlds, for me as far as color, light, use of the eclectic, and wood warmth against white. The only thing I'd change is the hanging light and the stuff on the mantel.


May all your meals with company be dreamy and candlelit.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely words, Lauren. What a nice surprise to see this post!

    xoxo
    Seleta

    ReplyDelete